For a while now I have wanted to make my own Captain's Mirror. You see them everywhere. I have admired them in all my favourite reads in print and on the internet. I saw some DIY versions and thought I can do that! Sometimes I think that and it works out (not always)! This is one of those times. It was quick and fairly easy. Not too expensive compared to designer versions but not super low budget.
Read more for my instructions below.
- First stop IKEA for their "Grundtal" mirror only $29
- Next find yourself 3 leather belts (matching) I tried bargain hunting at used clothing stores but ended up at Winners so I could get 3 the same ( $15 each)
- Final stop the hardware store for "No More Nails" adhesive tape for about $8. Also a glue gun and glue sticks if you don't have one.
- Next step take two of the belts and wrap around the mirror meeting in the middle, cut off the ends so your leather wraps around flat on the side. Use the tape to fix the edges and then your glue gun to attach the rest of the belts. You could also spray paint your mirror surround for a different look. I chose to leave mine.
- Finally with your third belt cut the tail end off and use one of the leftover clasps from the other belts. Slide it on the end so you now have a double buckled belt and use as the faux hanger.
- Fix the mirror to the wall using wall plugs and screws for support. The belt hanger is just decorative. I used a brushed nickel cabinet knob to hang it on. You could use a wooden finial.